Finning does not mine minerals, build roads, or harvest trees, but we provide customers with the equipment that does. We also operate parts and service facilities, remanufacturing centers and office and training facilities, all of which consume resources and have their own impact on the environment. We make it our responsibility to understand how and where we have an environmental impact and work toward minimizing our footprint. Our environmental initiatives take many different forms, but all come under the oversight of our Board of Directors and management, whose mandate it is to ensure Finning’s operations work towards long-term environmental sustainability.
We help our customers reduce their environmental impact
Finning actively promotes equipment and job site solutions that help our customers achieve efficiencies and reduce their environmental footprint.
- We are a key supporter of Cat® emission-reduced equipment including an electric drive tractor that reduces customer fuel consumption by up to 20% and hybrid excavators and wheel loaders that reduce energy use and CO2 emissions by more than 25%.
- We were at the forefront of the rollout of Caterpillar’s sophisticated Tier 4 line of equipment, which significantly reduces CO2 emissions through improved fuel efficiency and reduced emissions. By promoting and guaranteeing the technology’s exceptional fuel efficiency, we were successful in getting customers to justify the premium price for this exceptionally clean and efficient technology.
- We have combined programs such as our Job Site Solutions team, Cat Connect technology and UpTake to help customers reduce their fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emission by 20%, while also improving their productivity and efficiency.
- Our technology solutions partner, SITECH, provides machine control systems and solutions that significantly increase our customers’ machine efficiencies and reduce emissions.
- Our remanufacturing facilities help to extend the life of Cat equipment and components, greatly reducing resource inputs and minimizing waste.
We support innovation in renewable energy projects
Finning UK & Ireland is closely involved in a first-of-its kind project to produce carbon neutral power from used cooking oil at a bio-power site in Whitemoor, North Yorkshire. The innovative project uses ten Finning Cat 3516 engines that run on a fuel created from used cooking oil. Finning supplied the equipment and provides ongoing operational support. Our work on this project was highly commended at the 2016 British Renewable Energy Awards.
We minimize environmental impacts in each of our facilities
- We recycle oil, filters, plastics, metal, wood, cardboard and paper at all of our facilities.
- We track carbon emissions in all of our territories.
- We complete energy audits at our facilities, replacing older compressors, with smaller more efficient air compressors, installing timers to limit our HVAC units, and replacing lighting to reduce energy use.
We keep learning…and changing
We are committed to learning and responding to new ways of reducing our environmental footprint. In our view, environmental sustainability is a journey. There will always be new paths to explore, and we will continue to explore them.